Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Robert Harbin's Origami 4


I've finally found a copy of this very rare book!

I bought volumes 1 to 3 as soon as they were published. Number 4 came out in 1977, but by that time I had moved to France and wasn't aware of it. It couldn't have been in print for very long because so few copies have survived.

Like the others, it is a compilation by Robert Harbin of some of the best designs around at the time. It includes some highly original designs by leading folders such as: Martin Wall, Max Hulme, Dave Brill, Patricia Crawford and Neal Elias. Some of my favorites are Patricia Crawford's grand piano, Martin Wall's rose complete with stem and leaves and Neal Elias' fantastic series of Buddhas.

I successfully bid for the book on Ebay and it should arrive today...When it does I can delete the pdf version of the book I downloaded 2 years ago: I was a bit naive then and didn't realise it was an illegal copy until I posted a mail about it on the British Origami Society message board. The BOS own the copyright to this and all Robert Harbin's Origami books, so you can imagine the reaction!

1 comment:

Nick Robinson said...

I found one on a New Zealand auction site for a fiver, but the best deal was 50p in a local charity shop - it fetched over 80 quid on ebay!