Saturday, May 3, 2008

Folding by request

This week, I've been asked by some work colleagues to fold a Shi tzu dog, a car and a duck!
The dog was easy as I had just been reading Leyla Torres blog http://thebraid.wordpress.com/ about Paul Jackson's Barking Dog model which showed an attractively folded example and a link to a video by the man himself showing how to fold it.
For the car I dug out an example of Herman van Goubergen's toy car which I had folded a few months ago. Fortunately it was in canary yellow paper, just like my work colleague's car!
For those of you that don't know this model, it is a true original: when finished, you pop a couple of marbles under the bonnet in an integral engine compartment, place the model on a tray and the car moves when the tray is tilted with lifelike smoothness. You can find the diagrams on Alex Barber's site http://www.origami.com/ and here is Herman demonstrating his model at the BOS convention in Cambridge last year:





For the duck, I'm still on the lookout, maybe a Montroll or a Kasahara.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew.

Congratulations on your new blog! You will realize that it can become a little addictive. I hope your friend is happy with her new origami barking Shi tzu dog. I will folding Riccardo Colletto's flower. It looks very appealing!

Leyla